Awards and Honors
THE TAO HOUSE AWARD
This award is given to a person who, in the opinion of the board, has served the American Theater with distinction. The recipient may be actively involved in performance areas, including acting, directing, design or producing and may also be a critic or scholar who has written significantly about the theater in the United States. Recipients of the Tao House Award are:
- 1989 - Jason Robards, Jr., actor renowned for roles in O’Neill’s major plays and longtime supporter of the Eugene O’Neill Foundation, Tao House.
- 1993 - Travis Bogard, author, editor and O’Neill scholar at UC Berkeley.
- 1994 - Donald Gallup, curator of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- 1996 - Arthur and Barbara Gelb, biographers of O’Neill.
- 1999 - Theodore Mann, producer of 16 plays by Eugene O’Neill.
- 2003 - Paul Libin, Broadway producer and collaborator with Theodore Mann.
- 2006 - Stephen Black, O’Neill scholar, author of works on O’Neill.
- 2006 - Cherry Jones, actress, Tony Award nominee for her role in A Moon for the Misbegotten.
- 2007 - Ed Hastings, founding member of the American Conservatory Theatre, the Tony Award winning regional theatre in San Francisco.
- 2008 - Paul Robeson (posthumously), actor, leading roles in The Emperor Jones and All God’s Chillun Got Wings.
THE OPEN GATE AWARD
This award honors those who have served as directors of the foundation and whose dedication and service have enhanced the memory of Eugene O'Neill.
Recipients of the Open Gate Award are:
- 1991 – Thalia Brewer
- 1992 – Darlene Blair and Lois Sizoo
- 1993 – Craig Dorman
- 1995 – Ruth Turner
- 1998 – Frances Chumley
- 2003 – Linda Best
- 2004 – Virginia Denison
- 2006 – Wendy Cooper
- 2007 – Diane Schinnerer
- 2008 – Carol Sherrill
- 2009 – Beverly Lane
- 2012 – Florence McAuley and Robert Rezak
THE ARTISTIC AWARD
The Artistic Award (The Genie) is given to individuals who have been outstanding in their commitment to the Foundation's mission to provide artistic and educational programs which focus on the contribution of Eugene O'Neill to the American theater. Recipients of the Artistic Award are:
- 2003 – Kerri Shawn and Richard James
- 2006 – Michael Uppendal
- 2009 – Dan Cawthon
- 2012 – Jack DeRieux
THE FREEMAN AWARD
This award is named for Herbert Freeman. He served as chauffeur and "man of all work" and friend. He is credited with helping to make life more comfortable for the O'Neills at Tao House. This award is presented to volunteers who have tirelessly given their time and talents to the Eugene O'Neill Foundation. Recipients of the Freeman Award are:
- 2003 – Tony Cooper
- 2004 – J.R.K. Kantor
- 2006 – Michael Cook
- 2013 -- Carol Lea Jones, Thomas Donahoe
LOIS SIZOO ENDOWMENT FUND
In 2001 an endowment fund was established to honor the memory of Lois Sizoo, founding member of the foundation. This fund is the repository for all memorial gifts to the foundation. This fund will support the work of new playwrights.